Position Description: Male Education Specialist
Ndoto: For Africa’s Future is a Christ-centered community development organization that works in the Obunga slum of Kisumu, Kenya. Ndoto is a Swahili word meaning “dream.” We aim to give at-risk youth a chance to dream for themselves, their community, and the kingdom of God through education, discipleship, and development.
As an organization, we believe that forgotten communities can be transformed from the inside out. Our dream is to see entire communities changed, not only individual lives transformed. We encourage our students to dream not only about what job they want to have, and who they want to become, but also what community they want to live in. We invest in people as a whole and empower them to reach their potential, so they will be equipped to become the community leaders of tomorrow. The new education specialist will be based in our Kisumu, Obunga office and will be responsible for providing educational know how and support for all projects both current and future.
For more information about our organization, please visit www.ndoto.org
The education specialist will be primarily responsible for the day to day overseeing of male high school and college sponsored students and will also lead the management and administrative support for the modeling and structure of a school and all projects in relation to organizational goals.
- Advise & counsel male high school & college students
- Build solid relationships with parents
- Help young men to set and achieve goals
- Build relationships with teachers and administrators
- Provide leadership and direction in the launching of a community primary school
- Manage and motivate staff with a view to upholding Ndoto’s vision and mission
- Keep the Director informed on the activities of the education project by providing relevant correspondence, reports, and meeting minutes as well as making regular updates
- Submit the department financial and narrative reports to the Accountant and Director promptly
- Network on behalf of the organization
- Pay fees and purchase related school supplies
- Walk through difficult times with young men
- Bachelor’s degree in Education required
- 3+ years of teaching required
- Understanding the different parts of a school and help in starting one
- Openness to learning new strategies for how to teach, discipline, and empower students
- Passionate about investing/mentoring/discipling young men
- Ability to manage many things at once
- Team player
- Ability to manage money well with integrity
- A self-starter with a strong results orientation and with high levels of integrity, credibility and dependability
- Excellent numeracy skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office, email, Salesforce
- Born again Christian
- Actively involved in church
- Possess a high level of integrity
- Passionate about empowering and investing in young people
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English, Swahili, and Luo (preferred)
- Ability to resolve conflict in healthy and appropriate ways
- Previous experience involved in a nonprofit
HOW TO APPLY
We invite interested candidates who meet the requirements to email their applications to email@example.com
Applications should include:
- A one-page cover letter explaining why you are applying for this position, and how your recent relevant experience and skills meet the requirements for this position.
- A Curriculum Vitae specifying your qualifications, education and relevant work experience.
If successful, we will expect the names, email addresses and daytime contact numbers of three to four referees, one of them being your current or last manager/supervisor.
Closing date for this post will be April 15th 2020.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and a successful candidate may be selected prior to the closing date. Candidates are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to participate in an interview.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and qualification.
Due to the high number of applications expected, unfortunately, only successful candidates will be contacted.